It is now a common acceptance within our industry that more and more of your guests are searching for a hotel using their mobile rather than a desktop. In a recent study from the UK, 70% of travellers at some point during the buying process for flights and hotels used a mobile. A further study revealed that 85% of mobile users prefer Apps over mobile webs.
Most hotels these days have the website optimised for mobiles and feel they are doing everything to ensure they are interacting with their guests via mobile but is it enough? This is a common question and one that we will tackle today
Apps are transforming hotels that have already implemented into their business, here’s how:-
- Information – Hotels & Resorts are, in general, are notoriously bad at informing their guests on everything that is going to take place during their stay. From the flyers that we leave next to reception, to the personalised letter they receive on check-in and let´s not forget the infamous hotel directory. The majority guests are searching for information about the great services you provide before they even arrive, instead they need it when they are on the plane, train or just simply planning their holiday. Many resorts offer excursions like scuba diving, children activities or trekking that are nowhere to be seen on the brand website but still offer an important part of someone’s holiday. Having that information beforehand is providing your guests with useful information that they can plan their perfect holiday or stay with you which is available both when there online and offline.
- Events – Most hotels these days are focused on providing experiences to their guests whether business or pleasure. From offering yoga, cookery classes to a live act in your bar, these have always been difficult to promote for the hotel. From publishing on Social media & website to producing a flyer which takes time and incurs costs for printing and designing. One of the great functionalities about apps is push notifications – These are small notifications sent straight to the phone and appear on the front screen. At present, these have 95% readability rates, far higher and more cost-effective than any other form of advertising.
- Revenue – Apps are proving a great way to increase incremental revenue by selling via your app for services like room service, Spa, Restaurant or promotions on food & drink. Hotels that have implemented apps have already recouped their initial investment within 6 months of operation. From promoting your room service menus shown with pictures which is proven to increase demand to Spa treatments which can be pre-booked, this can all be done via the app. Guests can also interact with your staff instantly to organise transfers, housekeeping etc. All this helps your guest have the right information at their fingertips at the right time. From an operational point of view, you app can be connected to your PMS to automatically charge the guests room bill.
- GPS – So you are a resort in Malaga with many of your guests flying into the local airport. How great would it be for your guest to receive a welcome message when they arrive along with directions on how to get to your hotel? Or if you are a golfing resort, how cool would it be for your golfers to know how far their ball is away from the pin? All of this is possible with an App which offer those little details that set you apart from your competitors.
- Loyalty Programmes – Apps are a great way to incentivize multi-purchases as well as encouraging repeat stays. Promotions like buy 5 beers and get the 6th one free can be controlled by the app, as well as promotions to ensure that your clients come back and stay with you by booking directly.
Apps offer much more versatility and can be an incredible source of direct income if used correctly. Once a client has reserved your hotel via any channel. You should be informing them to download your app to receive special promotions/information etc that they can enjoy when they are staying with you.
Whereas Mobile websites are instrumental in the initial reservation, apps also provide a valuable tool that your guests will appreciate. A key component is that all your staff is correctly trained to make sure that your staff are helping your guest take full advantage of the many features that the app can offer them, which also helps to increase your hotels overall revenue performance.
All this taken together establishes that Apps are a vital marketing strategy. For the hotels and resorts that have already adopted them, they are already reaping the rewards.
Email us email@example.com if you would like to find out more on how an app can be beneficial for your guests and revenue.